MATCH REPORT | Silsden AFC 2-1 Rossington Main


Silsden AFC 2-1 Rossington Main

NCEL Premier Division

Tuesday 5th March 2024

Office Interiors Stadium


Rabone, Cromack, Stewart, Daly (Kilner, 38′), Cassidy, Clayton, Connolly (Smith, 80′), Maltby, Price, Hudson (Conteh, 85′), Brooksbank.

Subs: Busfield, Wilkinson


Silsden made it two wins out of two with a hard-worked 2-1 victory over 4th placed Rossington Main at The Office Interiors Stadium yesterday night.

Ellis Hudson gave us the lead just before the interval with a well-taken spot kick before a towering Ben Young header levelled for Rosso on 50 minutes.

Casey Stewart’s deflected freekick just six minutes later proved to be the winner as Silsden defended well and held on to claim a fantastic three points.

With the game delayed by 15 minutes due to traffic, Adam Clayton almost gave Sils the perfect start as his controlled volley was clawed away well by Jim Pollard in the Rossington goal.

Manasse Kianga looked threatening for the visitors and had a good opportunity to open the scoring just 10 minutes in, luckily Jay Rabone was off his line quickly to snuff out the danger.

The end-to-end action continued as we looked to counter from a Rosso corner, Jake Maltby picked out Luke Brooksbank, the winger racing into the box before seeing his effort once again saved by Pollard.

Unfortunately, an injury to captain Ross Daly forced him off on 38 minutes but we would have better luck just three minutes later as Kayle Price was brought down inside the penalty area.

Hudson stepped up made it double figures for the season as he rifled home from 12-yards to give us the lead heading into the break.

Whatever the Rossington manager said at halftime had an impact as they levelled just five minutes after the restart.

A floated corner found the head of Hunter who buried his header beyond Rabone to make the score 1-1.

Parity wouldn’t last long however, set-piece specialist Stewart stood over a freekick in a dangerous area and hit a low strike that took a nick off a defender before nestling into the bottom corner of the goal.

Stewart looked to add to his tally with a number of efforts, initially he looked to curl one from distance with Pollard making a comfortable save.

Moments later he drove into the box but his shot was once again straight at the Rosso stopper.

Dan Smith had a chance to add our third goal as Brooksbank set him free down the right wing, he used his pace to sprint into the penalty area before lashing his shot narrowly wide of the top corner.

There was little action beyond that and we held out for the three points. The win seeing us move up to seventh in the table, seven points off the playoffs with seven games to go.

We’ve no game this weekend but we play host to Knaresborough Town in the League Cup Quarter Final next Wednesday.