MATCH REPORT | Campion 1-1 Silsden


Campion 1-1 Silsden AFC

Tuesday 26th December

NCEL Premier Division

1stGlassUK Stadium


The spoils were shared in Boxing Day’s Bradford District derby between Campion and Silsden as a late goal for the hosts earned them a 1-1 draw.

Casey Stewart’s deflected freekick had given the Cobbydaler’s a first half lead against the NCEL Premier League leaders but despite some resiliant defending, Campion were able to snatch an equaliser in the dying moments of the game through Nicky Boshell.

Both sides would have decent opportunities in the opening 10 minutes, a header for the hosts falling into the gloves of Kyle Trenerry before Jake Cassidy’s shot at the other end was tipped over by Brad Emmerson.

Sils would take the lead through Stewart as he struck a low freekick from 25-yards that took a wicked deflection before nestling in the bottom right corner for the winger’s 10th goal this season.

Just moments later, T’Nique Fishley was forced to hook clear of the line as Campion looked for a fast reply from a long ball forward.

Campion began to take control of the game a press for a leveller with Spencer Harris and Jacob Smith in the Silsden defence forced to make a number of smart blocks and clearances to keep them at bay.

They should have been level on 31 minutes as Marcus Harper’s dangerous cross was met by Aiden Kirby only for the ball to sail over the crossbar.

Despite being on top, the hosts were fortunate to not be two goals behind just after the break.

Jake Maltby breaking beyond the defence before smashing over the bar from just inside the penalty area.

Whilst Campion controlled the match, there were few clear cut opportunities as a determined Sils defended manfully throughout the second half.

With the game coming into its final 15 minutes, the hosts began to fashion more chances, a shot on the turn flying well wide before Fishley was again called into action to make a good block inside the six-yard box.

Another chance was spurned by Kirby as he smashed over from inside the six-yard box, but the reprieve wouldn’t last forever as the hosts drew level in the 92nd minute.

A scramble from a corner saw the ball fall to Boshell on the edge of the box and he made no mistake in curling the ball into the top corner.

There were chances for both sides to win it late on, Stewart raced through straight from kickoff, only to see his effort saved strongly by Emmerson.

Kyle Trenerry was forced into a near identical stop at the other end before getting up to punch clear any potential follow-up.

The result means we pick up our first draw of the season against quality opposition in Campion, full credit to both sides for such an exciting game of football.

We do drop to 8th in the table but its very tight in the race for the playoffs and we remain just two points from 5th place with the visit of Tadcaster to the Office Interiors Stadium this Saturday.