MATCH REPORT | Silsden AFC 5-2 Maltby Main


Silsden AFC 5-2 Maltby Main

NCEL Premier Division

Saturday 7th October 2023

The Office Interiors Stadium


Saturday saw a return to winning ways for Sils with a 5-2 victory over Maltby Main in the NCEL Premier Division.

Doubles for both Jake Maltby and Kayle Price, aswell as a first half Luke Brooksbank strike gave a us a comfortable lead heading into the final stages.

After injury to Arley Barnes, forced us to play the final minutes with 10 men, the Miners struck back with two goals to make the scoreline slightly less convincing.

The game got off to a relatively slow start in the opening quarter of an hour, but on 16 minutes, Jake Maltby latched onto a T’Nique Fishley cross and curled in a superb strike from the edge of the area.

Credit: Linda Gartland

Brooky would double our lead on 24 minutes, picking up the ball outside the box, turning and firing a low effort into the corner.

A third goal looked to have put the game out of sight before the clock had even ticked over the half hour mark.

Casey Stewart’s freekick from the left was headed up into the air by Adam Clayton, the ball looped back to the centre half who headed into Price’s path and the inform striker powered a diving header beyond the keeper.

Chances for the visitors were few and far between in the first half, Kyle Trenerry making a good diving save from Maltby’s only real effort of note.

After the break however, complacency looked to have crept in, and were it not for the outstretched leg of Kyle, Maltby would have pulled a goal back.

That seemed to be the wake up call we needed as Jake Maltby, grabbed his second goal against his namesake.

Brooksbank again involved as his low cross found the midfielder unmarked inside the 6-yard box who made no mistake to rifle home and all but confirm the three points for Sils.

A penalty gave us our 5th goal, with the ever-reliable Price stepping up and slotting home from 12 yards for his 10th league goal of the campaign already.

Credit: Linda Gartland

With the points secured, we began to switch off slightly and Main’s substitute Malachai Baliey punished us with a sweet strike from outside the box.

Unfortunately captain Arley was forced off with injury on 75 minutes leaving us to play the remaining minutes down to ten having made our subs early on.

This gave the South Yorkshire side the upper hand and they began to attack our goal.

Trenerry looked a determined man between the sticks however, pulling off a number of great saves in the dying minutes including a wonderful diving stop from a shot inside the penalty area.

He couldn’t keep them out forever though and with the final shot of the game, a low Ryan Ellison strike slipped through for Maltby Main’s second of the game.

Despite those two goals, it was a comfortable scoreline in the end and we remain top of the table on 27 points.

We’ll be looking to maintain our lead at the top with a trip to an in-form Garforth side this Saturday.