MATCH REPORT | Hallam FC 2-3 Silsden AFC

Match Details

Hallam FC 2-3 Silsden AFC

NCEL Premier Division

Tuesday 6th December


Match Report

In an entertaining fixture at Sandygate last night, Silsden overcame both their opponents and the freezing conditions to secure a 3-2 win over Hallam in the NCEL Premier Division.

Despite going behind to a Keiren Watson strike, Ellis Hudson levelled things for the Cobbydalers with a superb curling effort just before the break.

Silsden added two more goals after half time, Hudson doubling his tally before defender Alex Laird made the score 3-1.

A late Hallam penalty made for a nervy end to the game, but an unbelievable last minute save from Silsden keeper Sam Kelly to deny his opposite number Hugo Warhurst secured the three points for the visitors.

For the first half hour of the game, neither side created anything major, Hallam fashioning a couple of half chances from set pieces including a half-volley that flew well wide of Kelly’s upright.

It would be the hosts who opened the scoring when a long ball over the top found Watson whose smart, low finish smashed off the near post and into the back of the net.

Playing uphill was always going to make for a difficult first half but the Cobbydalers battled hard and levelled the scores on 44 minutes.

After good work from Hudson and Lamin Janneh Gitteh won the visitors a corner, the ball dropped out to the former on the right wing and he curled in a trademark, left footed strike to restore parity.

Upon resumption of the second half, Silsden looked to set about their opponents and with the angle of the pitch behind them, quickly took the lead.

A Hallam defender couldn’t bring the ball under control outside his own box allowing Hudson to nip in and stroke a calm finish beyond Warhurst.

Things got even better for the West Yorkshire side just two minutes later.

A Talent Ndlovu corner was flicked on at the near post by Joe Crosby, with centre half Laird the man on hand to head home his first ever Silsden goal and make the score 3-1.

After the goal, the game began to settle once again, new Silsden signing Sumaili Cissa was denied a debut goal by the feet of Warhurst before Hallam headed a decent chance wide following a deep cross.

With the game nearing its end, Kelly would be called into action making a fine stop from point-blank range to deny the hosts.

On 88 minutes, the Countrymen we’re given a lifeline in the form of a spot-kick, Scott Ruthven converted, making for a nervy final few minutes.

Deep into added time, the hosts must have thought they had snatched a point when amazingly, keeper Warhurst connected sweetly with a half-volley, only to see it wonderfully tipped over by Kelly to ensure that Silsden would hold on for a valuable three points.

The result sees the Cobbydalers bounce back from two consecutive defeats and climb back up to 5th in the table. Another away day beckons this weekend with a difficult trip to Hemsworth MW on Saturday for a 3pm kickoff.