MATCH REPORT | Silsden AFC 1-2 Albion Sports

The Buildbase FA Vase 2021-22, First Qualifying Round

11th September 2021


Silsden AFC Goalscorers: Qasim 64

Albion Sports Goalscorers: Facey 59, Ellington 79

Attendance: 117




The Cobbydalers were drawn at home against fellow North Counties East members Albion Sports in this first Qualifying round of the Buildbase FA Vase. In recent years, the games between the teams have been tight affairs and this match was no exception. Only three points separated the teams in the league although, when the teams met in the Vase in 2018 at Throstles’ Nest, the Cobbydalers ran out narrow winners with a superb goal from Reece Kendall from his own half. Danny Forrest was able to bring in Dan Illingworth at centre-back for his first start of the season with Arley Barnes switching to right back.

The visitors were first to break forwards with Jayden Sandhu, who had got the better of Kyle Hancock. He slid the ball to former Cobbydaler, Robbie Fox, who crossed into the Silsden penalty area. Sean Airey headed the ball back to keeper Sammy Lee, who held the ball despite being under pressure from Daniel Facey.

Five minutes later slick passing between Khurram Shazad and Jack Normanton set up Joe Jagger who tested the Albion keeper with a low shot.  Albion’s Jamal Stewart then hit a dipping ball towards the Silsden net, which Lee managed to grasp on the goal-line. It was a sprightly start for the Blues but Silsden eased themselves into this competitive game. 

The game swung from end to end. Qasim had a low shot saved at one end, whilst Airey blocked Facey’s effort at the other. Normanton then latched onto the ball on the left. A clever back-heel set up Qasim whose shot was saved. The Silsden forwards were working well together but it was the visitors who went close to opening the score when Airey was caught in possession by Sandhu. Lee made a fine save whilst immediately George Clark, in the visitor’s goal, denied Normanton, who had been set up by Qasim.

Silsden began to raise the pressure on the Albion defence with Qasim, Jagger and Normanton all going close. However, Albion were always a threat on the break. Reece Ellington almost broke through, only to be denied by a superb tackle from Lewis Gardner. In the dying minutes of the half, both sides had opportunities to break the deadlock. Stewart curled the ball over the bar from the right before Jagger, killing a long clearance from the back, set up Shazad but his effort was easily saved.

The second half started with the same intensity. Dan Illingworth managed to deny the visitors a clear shot on goal, but only at the expense of getting injured. He carried on after treatment. Kyle Hancock and Joe Mitchell were working hard to close down their opponents in midfield. Mitchell and Normanton combined to free up Jagger who twisted round his marker to fire just over the bar. Mitchell then shot wide. Marcus Harper blocked another effort from Normanton after slick interplay with Jagger.

Finally the deadlock was broken when Daniel FACEY broke through the Cobbydaler’s high-line to slide the ball home on fifty-nine minutes. It was against the run of play and had been a momentary lack of concentration after Silsden had netted. However the goal was deemed offside. For a moment Silsden were rocked and Facey almost made it two, firing over the bar with the goal at his mercy. The visitors were to regret the missed chance as the Cobbydalers took advantage, QASIM slotting home Normanton’s cross. Normanton then almost put the home side in the lead, his speculative effort just clearing the bar.

The game became stretched with half-chances at both ends. Gardner managed to clear a dangerous cross before Stewart fired over Lee’s crossbar. With ten minutes left the visitors netted a second when Fox broke down the right, outpacing the Silsden rearguard with ELLINGTON sliding the ball home past Lee. Jayden Sandhu wasted the chance to make it three.

Illingworth was replaced by Lewis Gartland who almost notched an equaliser, Clarke denying him with a fine save. Barnes then set up substitute Craig Billington who did hit the back of the net only for the goal to be ruled out for offside. The game was in stoppage time when Sammy Lee came up for a corner. The keeper was frustrating close to netting the equaliser at the far post! The final whistle went.

Silsden must now concentrate on the league. Next Saturday it is a home game against Grimsby Borough. In the meantime, Grimsby Borough’s youth team are the visitors on Wednesday in the FA Youth Cup, kick off is 7:30pm.


SILSDEN AFC: Lee, Barnes(c), Gardner, Hancock, Airey, Illingworth (Gartland 84), Qasim, Mitchell, Jagger (Billington 70), Shazad (Riley 70), Normanton.

Subs not used: Thompson, Moses, Ahmed.

ALBION SPORTS: Clarke, Henry (Basi 26), Harper, Bhadal (Tiana 70), Clay, Hall, Fox, Ellington, Facey(c) (Donovan 73), Sandhu, Stewart.

Subs not used: Aboiye, Kaba.


Referee: Mr B.Brighton

Assistants: Mr S.Sutton and Mr M.Wolfendale.