Maltby Main 3-0 Silsden AFC

The Toolstation Northern Counties East F. L. Premier Division 2019-2020

Saturday, Sept 14th, 2019

MALTBY MAIN F.C. 3 v 0 SILSDEN A.F.C. Wilson 9, Chipps 28, Moxam 73. Att. 75.


The Cobbydalers travelled to Maltby Main on Saturday. In the reverse fixture the Cobbydalers had a home victory,2-1, against their opponents of a month ago. Main, who have only played three league games to date, losing two of them, made up for it by making progress in both the FA Cup and Vase. Leading scorer Aidan Kirby returned whilst Ben Higginson replaced the injured Alfie Darke in goal and new recruit Liam Hudson replaced Josh Brown at centre back.

Main were first on the attack but Mark Everingham read the situation and cleared the ball. William Eades then fired over the bar. Ben Aigar managed to get the better of Dan Illingworth but shot wide. When Joe Austin curled in a free kick, Anthony WILSON rose above the Silsden defence to head Maltby into the lead on nine minutes.

Silsden responded immediately. Khurram Shadzad broke up the left, cut back and slid the ball to Craig Bentham, who hit a low drive from outside the area. The effort was just off target. Robert Chipps headed over at the other end before Jay Benn broke up the right, only to see his dangerous cross cleared at the near post.

Kirby then had three chances in a five minute spell. Shazad broke up the left. His swift turn left two defenders in his wake. He fizzed a cross to Kirby, who was free in the box. Kirby volleyed over. Two minutes later Khurram released Kirby again. A dip of the shoulder gave him an opening but his effort was marginally wide of the far post. Another Shazad pass, another Kirby effort. The net bulged! The Silsden fans thought Kirby had equalised but the shot had hit the side netting! On another day it might have been three-one!

Kirby’s head didn’t drop. Unfortunately at the other end, Robert CHIPPS netted a second when Higginson allowed a low shot to slip under his outstretched hand. The Cobbydalers then broke with a swift move down the right but it was cleared. Kirby continued to work hard but the Silsden midfield were being pushed back. Craig Bentham was dispossessed and Wilson broke past Hudson but his shot lacked power.

Five minutes before the break, Benn broke up the Silsden right, played a one two with Bentham before releasing Kirby. The striker’s effort grazed the far post. With the Silsden defence unsettled, Austin set up two chances for the home side. Aigar shot wide and Austin’s effort sailed over the bar! On the stroke of half-time a slick move from Silsden ended with Jake Taylor-Mountford heading over.

The second half started with Main’s Aigar missing a glorious chance before Higginson saved another effort with his feet. For much of the half Main played with nine

players back and relied on their two strikers to stretch the Cobbydalers in the other half. Silsden struggled to get through a packed midfield. Josh Kaine, returning from injury, came on for Barnes.

Kaine was soon in the action denying Wilson, before Aigar failed to get a touch on another good chance. Main had a great chance when they broke through the Silsden defence only to be flagged for offside. It looked a hard decision. Two minutes later, Hudson failed to track substitute Aaron MOXHAM, who netted a third…HE did appear to be offside. Déjà vu!

Silsden had few opportunities to get back in the game. Benn had another good break and Mitchell was denied by the home keeper. Liam Hudson headed over the Main bar before Higginson saved well to deny Maltby a fourth.

Two disappointing results after last Saturday’s demolition of Garforth. This week the Cobbydalers entertain Yorkshire Amateurs at the Cobbydaler Construction Stadium.

MALTBY MAIN. Bailey, Morton, Hill, Austin, Eades, Chipps, Lumley, Hopewell, Aigar (Fairhurst 69), Wilson, (Moxhan 70), King. Subs not used. Worrall, Rigby, Leyland.

SILSDEN AFC. Higginson, Benn, Everingham, Liam Hudson (Waddington70), Illingworth, Barnes (Kaine 52), Bentham, Mitchell, Kirby, Shazad, Taylor-Mountford (Hardisty Blackwell 80). Subs not used Luke Hudson, Brown.

Referee. Mr. D. Jones. Assistants. Mr. M. Maddison and Mr . K. Booth.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *